Crisis Line Associate
Minimum 10 hrs/wk
Maximum 20 hrs/wkReports To The Crisis Services Associate will report to the Crisis Services Manager. Job Overview The Crisis Line Associate provides support to the Crisis Line program by answering calls for approximately 10-20 hours each week during periods with the least amount of coverage as designated and assigned by Crisis Services Manager with the goal of building Crisis Line response capacity. Responsibilities and Duties The functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Answers crisis calls from those who are seeking emotional support including those who may be at risk of suicide
- Adheres to performance measures in attending to call volume
- Thorough and accurate documentation of completed calls
- Participates in staff meetings and supervision, schedule permitting Attend continuing education and training as needed
- Act as Home Leader on a rotating schedule (mentoring and technical assistance for volunteer(s) on shift)
- Allow volunteer trainees to monitor (shadow) when on shift
- Act as On Call staff on a rotating schedule (additional stipend paid)
- 18 years of age or older
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Minimum of two years of professional experience preferred
- Previous work as a volunteer preferred
- Experience working on a crisis helpline a plus
- Ability to respect confidentiality
- Ability to be empathetic and engage in active, non-judgmental listening with our users
- Ability to work with sensitive and confidential information
- Must be able to display good, sound judgment
- Must possess strong communication skills
- Ability to resolve conflicts appropriately
- Ability to tolerate different beliefs and opinions
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to maximize teamwork across the organization
- Some flexibility in working hours
- Must keep time commitments
- Displays willingness to learn
- Ability to accept direction
- Successful completion of the Volunteer Befriender Training and assigned learning shifts on the helpline after hire
- Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
On-Call Shift Supervisor
Weekday, Evening and Weekend ShiftsReports To The On-Call Supervisor will report to the Crisis Services Manager. Job Overview The role of the On-Call Supervisor is to ensure successful delivery of services for callers by providing support to Crisis Line Associates and Volunteers as they utilize Samaritans’ specialized method of befriending and following National Suicide Prevention Lifeline/988 protocols and procedures. On-Call Shift Supervisors are experienced in crisis intervention, possess leadership qualities necessary to assist staff and volunteers during varying risk-level situations Responsibilities and Duties The functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Crisis Line Associates and Volunteers while serving on crisis line shifts.
- Provide guidance and instruction to Crisis Line Associates and Volunteers as needed.
- Enter and review data with accuracy to track the effectiveness and impact of crisis line services.
- Provide written follow-up as needed or requested.
- Build and maintain relationships and communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals, including supervisors, Crisis Line Associates, Volunteers, emergency services, and behavioral health professionals, among others.
- Employ strong critical thinking skills using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems within the parameters of Samaritans’ guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Exercise discretion in handling confidential situations and information.
- Respond to Crisis Line Associate and Volunteer requests for assistance in a timely manner.
- Convey sensitive information in a timely manner to qualified parties.
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively.
- Ability to intervene in crises.
- Maintain composure in high-stress situations.
- Instruct and mentor Crisis Line Associates and Volunteers.
- Be able to multi-task.
- Remain informed on suicide prevention best practices, models, and initiatives.
- Adhere to all Samaritans on Cape Cod and the Islands policies, procedures, best practices, and those in accordance with our accreditation through the International Council of Helplines, and guidelines from the Massachusetts Suicide Prevention Coalition, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree preferred or two years of professional experience in a social service agency, nonprofit, or similar organization.
- Previous experience working on a suicide prevention crisis line, customer service, and/or phone center required.
- High comfort level with technology, including computer and internet skills, smartphones, and integrated systems.
- Experience with the iCarol software system or similar cloud-based database, telephony applications, and Zoom required.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot in a fast-paced and evolving remote work environment.
- Successful completion of Samaritans Crisis Line
- Remote work with potential for some in-person interaction with staff and colleagues.
- Access to active, high-speed internet service.
- Ability to work remotely in a secure, private space where confidentiality can be maintained.
- Refresher training and regular staff meetings.
- Background and CORI checks
- $21-$22 per hour
- 12 paid holidays (prorated for part-time hours)
- Direct deposit payroll
- Health insurance stipend
- Generous vacation, sick and personal time off Policies
- Opportunity to work from remote location
For more information, email Cheryl Rossi at email@example.com
Samaritans on Cape Cod and the Islands
21st Annual Monica Dickens Golf Tournament
Monday, June 20, 2022Schedule of Activities:
- 11:00 Check-in desk opens and boxed lunch ready for pick-up
- 11:00 Driving range, chipping green, and putting green are available
- 12:30 Shotgun start
- 5:00 Soup and cash bar after golf
- 6:00 Dinner served
- 7:00 Prizes, auction & raffle winners announcements
Contact about event or registration process:
Lori Ruland – Lorija62@gmail.com or text 941-266-2988