Crisis Line Associate
Organization: The Samaritans on Cape Cod and the Islands
Part-time: 10-25 hrs/wk
Salary: $18 – $20 /hour
Reports to: Crisis Services Manager
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Crisis Line Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Founded in 1977, The Samaritans on Cape Cod and the Islands is a non-sectarian, non-profit volunteer organization whose mission is to end suicide by combating suicide risk conditions and easing the impacts of suicidal activity through fostering caring, connection, resilience, and public understanding. To date, Samaritans volunteers provide non-judgmental active listening to callers in need on our Crisis Lines and answered more than 615,000 phone calls from people in need.
The Crisis Line Associate provides support to the Crisis Line program by answering calls for approximately 10-20 hours each week during periods with the least amount of coverage as designated and assigned by Crisis Services Manager with the goal of building Crisis Line response capacity.
At the current time, the tasks of the Crisis Line Associate position are performed on a remote basis only.
Responsibilities and Duties
The functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Answers crisis calls from those who are seeking emotional support including those who may be at risk of suicide
- Adheres to performance measures in attending to call volume
- Completes thorough and accurate documentation of all answered incoming calls
- Participates in staff meetings and supervision, schedule permitting
- Successfully complete Samaritans Crisis Line Befriending training and assigned learning shifts (upon hire)
- Attend continuing education and additional training as needed
- Fulfill other duties as assigned by supervisor
- 18 years of age or older
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Minimum of two years of professional experience preferred
- Previous work as a volunteer preferred (experience working on a crisis helpline a plus)
- Demonstrates punctuality and honoring of time commitments
- Ability to maintain accurate records and exercise discretion in handling confidential information
- Ability to be empathetic and engage in active, non-judgmental listening with our users
- Demonstrates sound judgment
- Possesses strong communication skills
- Ability to resolve conflicts appropriately
- Ability to tolerate different beliefs and opinions
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to maximize teamwork across the organization
- Displays willingness to learn and accept direction
Salary and Benefits
- $18-$20 per hour
- Direct deposit payroll
- Generous vacation, sick and personal time off policies
- Opportunity to work from remote location
“When people ask is it hard working for a suicide prevention non-profit, I always say no because I can directly see how our work helps those in emotional distress. Our crisis lines provide those with debilitating loneliness, isolation, and depression with hope and light. And sometimes we save lives. That, and a wonderful team who are supportive, bright, eager, and funny, make this the most fulfilling work I have done.”
— Samaritans Staff Member